Last updated: February 21, 2019
St. John the Evangelist Parish is seeking a part-time Music Director/Organist/Cantor needed for approximately 10 hours per week. The church is located in Pawling, NY (Dutchess County) and averages about 700 worshipers on a weekend. Fully working electric organ but no choir loft. The parish oversees a second worship site (St. Charles Borromeo), but the music director would work primarily at St. John’s Church. Easy access by car via Route 22 about 15 minutes north of Brewster, NY.
The music director duties consist of the following:
- 3 Sunday Masses: 5 PM Vigil Saturday, 2 on Sunday: 9:30 AM and 11 AM (Choir Mass)
- All Holy Days of Obligation: 7 PM Vigil and one Mass of the Day at 7 PM)
- Director of choir
- Firstcall on all funerals and weddings, compensated separately at $175.00 per liturgy
- Open to a future possibility of leading a young person’s choir for the 9:30 AM Mass
- Background check a must
- Responsibilities and Requirements
- Be friendly, patient, and a willingness work with people of various age groups and musical gifts
- Have a foundation in the traditional Catholic hymnody and Gregorian chant style, or a willingness to explore and learn it; and some contemporary music as well.
- Work closely with the pastor who is musically inclined
- Recruit new members for the choir
- All Holy Week schedules including Tenebrae service Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning at 10 AM, Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper at 7 PM, Good Friday at 3 PM, Easter Vigil at 8 PM and Easter Day 7:30, 9:30 and 11 AM
- Christmas Eve 4 PM and Midnight, and ChristmasDay at 9:30 and 11:30 AM all required
- Help secure substitutes when needed
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Interested applicants can call the pastor directly at 914.584.5562. Also, please submit a hard copy résumé via regular postalmail to:
Fr. John F. X. Palatucci
St. John the Evangelist & St. Charles Borromeo
39 E. Main Street
Pawling, NY 12564
Or PDF copy via email: email@example.com
Special Note as of February 2019: Parish could use someone for the Easter Triduum: Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper at 7 PM, April 18; Good Friday Passion of the Lord at 3 PM, April 19; Easter Vigil at 8 PM, April 20; Easter Sunday 7:30 AM, 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM, April 21. The musician should be versed in Catholic Hymnody and with some familiarity with the Easter Triduum. Parish can provide a Missal and hymnal to help with the outlines of these services.
The Church of Saint Mary in Wappingers Falls, located just off of Rt. 9D, is seeking a Music Director and Organist. A description of the position, resources, requirements, compensation, and application process may be downloaded here. Interested applicants are invited to contact:
Rev. Daniel D’Alliessi, Pastor
Saint Mary’s Church
11 Clinton Street
Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
Church of Saint Augustine, New City – Part-time Music Director and Organist
Parish of approximately 2600 families in central Rockland county (25 miles north of NYC) seeking a part time organist and director of music. The director would be responsible for playing one Saturday evening Mass and three Sunday liturgies (of which one is a choir Mass), funerals and weddings, The director would prepare and train 4 cantors, rehearse the adult choir and foster greater congregational singing. Parish has a seventeen year old Peragallo Organ. Salary commensurate with experience. Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Church of the Resurrection (Rye) – Part-time Assistant Organist
Candidate must be available Sunday mornings from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm for one rehearsal and two Masses. Candidate must also be able to stay for one additional Mass one Sunday a month as well as all of the Holy Week services, Easter Sunday, Christmas eve and Christmas day. Excellent sight reading skills are preferred as well as the ability to run a choir rehearsal on your own. The option to sub for weddings, funerals and as a substitute music teacher in the parish school are possibilities, but not mandatory. Salary is based on candidates qualifications and the parish budget. Please send your résumé and letter of interest to Mr. Joseph Viserta, Director of Liturgy and Music at email@example.com.
Church of St. Bernard
The Church of St. Bernard in White Plains is seeking a part-time Music Director/Organist to provide music at four weekend masses (which includes one mass in Spanish), as well as parish weddings and funerals. Position includes Direction of Youth Choir and Adult English Choir which practice on Wednesday afternoons and evenings, respectively, and an accompanist for Spanish Choir at Spanish Mass on Sunday. Candidate is expected to play at all parish sacramental services. Ability to sing in both English and Spanish is preferred. Salary will be based on church budget and experience. Interested applicants should send résumé with cover letter to:
Rev. Robert J. Morris
Church of St. Bernard
51 Prospect St.
White Plains. NY 10606